DM header

DM header
Quartzsite, Arizona

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Quartzsite Mayor resigns due to health


Quartzsite- On May 15th, 2009, Mayor Walt Akin submitted his letter of resignation to the Town of Quartzsite, Town Manager, Town Employees and Town Residents. Letter follows:


"This was not an easy decision to make. I am grateful for the opportunity I’ve had the past seven years to represent those who had instilled their faith in me and to represent them on the council and being their mayor.


"I regret to inform you that I’m resigning as your mayor. I regret the inconvenience it will cause, but circumstances have left me no choice. I have enjoyed working with everyone and have learned a great deal. This letter is because of health problems and wanting to be close to family. Please be informed that I am resigning as of Monday, May 18, 2009 at 12 noon. "Thanks again everyone, thank you, council members past and present for having the wisdom to do what is best for your town and not yourself. I wish you all the best going forward."


Walt Akin was sworn in as Mayor following in November, 2009, the death of the late Mayor Chuck Busby. Since taking office, the mayor has had to deal with many important issues regarding budget cut-backs, recalls, and new council members. "I really was hoping to heal the town" he told Desert Messenger, Monday morning. When asked if he had a statement, he replied, "I wrote seven starts to a letter, but there was so much to say to the community... It was just so hard." Akin will participate in a 8-9 month program to "rebuild" his heart health through exercise and diet in Arkansas. He said he hopes to return to Quartzsite, but "so much is up in the air right now". Akin’s resignation left the council free to appoint someone to finish out his term. A special council meeting was being planned for Tuesday, at press time.

Followers

Search This Blog